Welcome to the large text version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the dyslexia friendly version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the Non Styling version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Xylitol Sweetener Poisoning warning
> What's News > Xylitol Sweetener Poisoning warning

Xylitol Sweetener Poisoning warning

Xylitol is a sweetener that is being increasingly used in human sweets, cakes and biscuits. It is also found in some human dental hygiene products and some human medicines.

If it is ingested by dogs, it can trigger a sudden release of insulin which can lead to hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar), bleeding into the gut and liver failure.

While dogs are considered to be most at risk, ferrets and cats can also be affected.

Most owners are aware of the toxic dangers of grapes and chocolate to their pets, but few are aware of the risks if their dog eats a cake or a muffin containing xylitol.

Please check that nothing you feed to your pet contains this potentially fatal substance.