Whilst Christmas is traditionally a time of happiness, having a sick pet can put a real dampener on things. Sadly, many of the illnesses and sicknesses we see at this time of the year are preventable with a little thought and attention to detail.
Chocolate, fruit cake, mince pies, some nuts, mistletoe and onions are all directly toxic to dogs but can also be very attractive to them. With their fine sense of smell, they can detect these foods even when they are wrapped up or in cupboards. Please keep them securely away from dogs.
Anti-freeze is highly toxic to both dogs and cats even in small quantities, but cats seem to find it very tasty so please make sure your car does not have a radiator leak.
Intestinal foreign bodies in both cats and dogs are a perennial problem. Turkey bones can cause choking and intestinal blockages. Batteries are also frequently swallowed. If they are chewed, the chemicals in them can be toxic but they can also cause blockages. Tinsel, string and rubber bands can also cause serious intestinal problems for both dogs and cats as well as dogs swallowing small children’s toys.
Being aware of these potential hazards means that we can all try and keep them away from our pets and ensure that ‘tis a season of joy rather than pet and owner misery.