Welcome to the large text version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the dyslexia friendly version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the Non Styling version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinic website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.

Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins

The high temperatures of summer are often associated with things decaying and going mouldy more quickly. This is fine, as long as your dog doesn’t decide to eat that slightly mouldy sandwich or raid the compost bin.

Unfortunately, mouldy food items often contain poisons called mycotoxins which can be very dangerous and even fatal. Rotting food, the contents of dustbins, compost bins, mouldy cheese and mouldy sandwiches are all common sources of mycotoxins.

Many dogs seem oblivious to the dangers and will scavenge, what appears to us, the most disgusting things!

Signs of mycotoxin poisoning are usually rapid in onset (within 30 minutes) and can result in vomiting and diarrhoea, muscle tremors, hyperactivity, seizures and sometimes even death.

So, it is very important to first try to make sure that dogs don’t have access to sources of mouldy food items, but if they do then don’t delay.

Call us immediately so we can get treatment on board as soon as possible.