Welcome to the large text version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the dyslexia friendly version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the Non Styling version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Slug Bait Warning
> Newsletter > Newsletter Summer 2015 > Slug Bait Warning

Slug Bait Warning

Slug Bait Warning

Slug Bait Warning

Many of us are keen gardeners and slugs and snails can be real pests. Slug baits can often seem to be the answer ..... but not if you have pets!

Many slug baits contain a substance called metaldehyde which is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. Even ingesting relatively small amounts (a few grams of pellets for a 20kg dog) can be toxic and require treatment.

Signs of toxicity vary depending on the amount that has been eaten, but can include restlessness, twitching, tremors and fitting. Severe cases can result in death from respiratory failure.

So, even if you prize your garden, please prize your pets more and consider using one of the widely available, pet friendly alternatives to metaldehyde slug baits such as the ferric phosphate containing products or nematode biological control products.