Christmas is a time of increased risk for our pets.
We usually see a higher incidence of foreign body ingestion in both dogs and cats. Turkey bones, bits of childrens toys, pieces of tinsel, and small balls are commonly swallowed and frequently end up having to be removed surgically.
Additionally, toxic food items such as raisins (in Christmas pudding/cake and mince pies), chocolate, onion gravy and macadamia nuts are more commonly accessed and eaten by dogs at this time of the year. Leaving wrapped presents containing toxic foods under the Christmas tree is a common mistake when a dog's sense of smell is many times better than ours.
Outside, cats and dogs find antifreeze attractive to lick, but this is highly toxic and can prove fatal. Salt used to "grit" roads is often picked up while walking and can also cause serious problems for dogs paws.
And it's also worth remembering that while we may enjoy the extra noise and chaos that Christmas brings, this can be a very frightening and anxious time for many of our pets.