Welcome to the large text version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the dyslexia friendly version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Welcome to the Non Styling version of AlphaPet Veterinary Clinics website. If you are here by mistake please follow this link to return to the standard layout.
Xylitol - a hidden risk
> Newsletter > Newsletter Winter 2016 > Xylitol – a hidden risk

Xylitol - a hidden risk

Xylitol - a hidden risk

This is Buster,  a 10 year old  miniature Schnauzer who recently had a near miss after he managed   to  get hold of a small bar of chocolate from his mum's bag.

Now we all know that chocolate can be toxic to dogs, but that wasn't the worst of it. This particular bar of chocolate contained an artificial sweetener called Xylitol. In dogs, xylitol is highly toxic causing  a profound drop in blood glucose  (like a diabetic coma) and can also  cause severe liver damage.

Fortunately, with treatment, Buster has made a full recovery, but he was lucky. We have seen several similar cases in recent years and have been surprised at the sort of foods that xylitol  is now used in.

Foodstuffs such as mints, cakes, peanut butter, chewing gum and chocolate. So please be very careful  and don't let your pet suffer a Buster incident.